Okay, it's obvious that I really can't do The Rachael very well; I tried. I've got the I'm Your Mother/Are You Doing That Right look down pretty good, though, huh? I hate having my picture taken! (Thanks to Mdd, my photographer, for laughing with me.) St. Brigid My first completed Aran sweater (Cromarty was the first Aran started -- and is yet to be completed) Yarn: Cascade 220, color 4010 (gold), purchased from The Boys at Threadbear; I ordered 12 hanks and used pretty much all of 9 (1908 yards) for the larger size without fringe, but with all the repeats / Needles: Size US 8 Clover Bamboo Started: Sept. 10, 2004 / Completed: Feb. 20, 2005 Modifications: 1) The single line of straight stitch called for on either side of the braided cable seemed flabby, so I knit/purled through the back loop of those stitches throughout to twist it and tighten up the stitch. 2) The pattern called for 15 rows of K2, P1 ribbing to finish the top edge of the collar; I knit only 13 (and might even have preferred fewer than that). 3) As far as gauge is concerned, I was "close" with the US 8 bamboos. In the end, the pieces were blocked in the manner directed in the book -- pinned to measurements given and covered with a damp cloth (in this case, a fairly substantial towel, fresh from the "max extract" washing machine cycle), and left 'til the cloth was dry (approximately 24 hours). When the blocking cloth was dry, it was removed and the pieces unpinned; they hardly budged. The pieces reached the specified measurements without any difficulty (plenty of give) and, as knit, they could have been blocked slightly larger or even a little smaller. 4) I have not yet attached any fringe; I may do that in the future; it will definitely cut into a 10th hank of yarn. Observations: I love I started with the sleeves, then knit the back (these pieces were finished before Christmas), and finally the front and collar pieces (since Christmas). Originally, I was going to do one less repeat on the body than the pattern called for, but I changed my mind on that and I'm so glad I did. During the next blocking, I will try to lengthen the sleeves just a bit -- they could be a tad longer for me. I've created a St. Brigid photo album with some WIP photos and eventually I'll post these thoughts, and any others that might come to mind, over there.
looking like an idiot for you people this sweater. It was a joy to knit and put together. It's comfortable to wear and it's pretty much turned out just as I'd hoped. There is plenty of ease without looking huge; it's substantial, but not too heavy or warm.
My first completed Aran sweater (Cromarty was the first Aran started -- and is yet to be completed)
Started: Sept. 10, 2004 / Completed: Feb. 20, 2005