There was a lot of sewing during my at-home mini vacation... a lot! Mending, seaming, hemming, embroidery, applique... both by machine and by hand.
I've had another attempt at a romper for Junah on my list (here's the first), and that happened on Monday.
This time, I used the same old Simplicity pattern (#5049... which I've since acquired in 2 more sizes) mashed up with a modified & upsized Simply Summer Romper, a free pattern (12-mo size) on Craftsy.
The things I love most about that Simplicity pattern are the facings (possibly my most favorite thing), the shoulder snaps, and the 2-piece back.
The free pattern offered a little guidance with shaping for the one-piece front, and I was excited to try the snap crotch.
Seven snaps total, top & bottom, are possibly a bit of overkill... haha!
The fabric came from a thrifted t-shirt.
Centering the design on the front meant that I was a little short of fabric for the straps. That happened with the giraffe romper, too, but my fix then was quite rushed and haphazard.
This time, I took the few extra minutes needed to do it symmetrically... and nicely. Top stitching even.
I also did just a bit of top stitching under the each arm to secure the facings. And, this time, I also hemmed the legs.
Forgetting to make corresponding adjustments to the facing pattern pieces, but not discovering that fault until after cutting, meant that I didn't have enough t-shirt fabric. I dug through my scraps and found some fabrics that corresponded well enough. I quite love how that worked out.
I'm so happy with how it turned out. It's at least a hundred times better than the last. There's still room for little tweaks & improvement, but I feel like I'm on track.
Baby Captain America doesn't do windows (unless you like fingerprints!), but he's happy to help sweep the deck!
Also, I'm dying over those shoes...