When the kids were over a few weeks ago, Malina was drawing/writing on the big chalkboard. She was showing me and saying, "D - O - and the letter RAINBOW!"
It's my new favorite letter! I smile every time I think of it.
In related (colorful) news... There's a big new project in the works! For Modern Daily Knitting's new I Made It with Atlas series (previously here and here, so far), I'm knitting a sweater for the kids... NOT a sweater for each kid, as some might be thinking (at least that's not the plan right now), but one that'll fit Junah right now (with a little room to grow) and that all the rest will eventually grow into. There's nothing quite like seeing all the knits I've made for one cycle through all the others -- sweaters that I made for Mack (graduating-high-school-this-spring Mack!) that Davy's wearing now!
The pattern I've chosen to make is Holli Yeoh's 5 Point Bomber (Ravelry). I considered a few others, but kept coming back to the Bomber because of what other makers had to say about it (all links to Ravelry project pages):
- Holli’s patterns are always so well thought out, and the projects are always so enjoyable to knit.
- Possibly the most wearable jacket I’ve made! The pattern is clear and walked through some really nice finishing techniques that I’ve used plenty of times on other jackets.
- This was an excellent pattern, and I would love to knit it again in a different set of colors.
- I’m surprised this isn’t a more popular pattern! A lovely written pattern. Pretty straightforward and easy to follow.
- My first Bomber is one of my most worn items, so decided to make another...
- Pattern is well written and really enjoying this project so far... Really love how this turned out.
As of today, there are only 17 Bomber projects on Ravelry, and 14 in the Project Gallery -- to read such positive comments on nearly half of those made it a pretty easy decision! I have made one of Holli's patterns before, the very colorful JUNEBEAN from her Devan pattern, which I love.
I bought the 5 Point Bomber pattern three months ago today and have been mulling over ideas ever since. I knew I wanted more color, and probably more stripes, but exactly how... that's eluded me. I finally emailed Holli and told her of my grand plan, asking if she might have some sketches that I could use to help solidify my ideas. She sent me PDFs of her original design sketches in a few different sizes -- and suggested that the kids color some, too!
We did that on Sunday when they were over for my birthday (64!) and, well, it's a RAINBOW world!!
They had a blast! And they're SO FUN!!
Ali has always loved fashion and color, so she did some, too!
She also understood the brief and asked pertinent questions about how the knitting is done (is the button band separate, etc.).
So many great ideas! I've already knit a swatch and will cast on as soon as I decide which way to go! haha. I'll keep you posted!
_ _ _ _ _
Things are still crazy at work but beginning to settle a bit. My trip to London was SUPER fun! My birthday was great, too. Obviously, I'm not doing NaBloPoMo this year... I thought of it at the end of October and then again on the 2nd or 3rd and considered "catching up," but it's not happening. Oh well, 13 years is a damn good run! Hope all is well with you.